Wednesday, May 19, 2010

You Lose Some, You Win Some

After 20 minutes of walking around Wan Chai looking for the Morrison Hill Public Pool, I decided to give up and go to the one on Harbour Road instead. It was gonna be a long walk from where I was, but at least I knew for sure where Harbour Road was. All I needed to do was walk on the road, and I was certain I would eventually find it. And boy, was I right!

Sweaty and smelling like an 8-year old who's been playing in the heat of the sun for hours, I faced the receptionist-- a middle-aged local lady---, took off my sunnies, smiled and asked politely, "Where do I pay to use the pool?"

She smiled back, reached for something under the desk and held it out in front of me. It was a printed sign in English that said something like "This Public Swimming Pool is only used for group training." Great.

I said bye. But before I left, I ran to the loo and did a #2. If they won't let me swim, at least make that pitstop useful for my excretory system.

I went back to Hennesy Road to take the tram, but I was in the middle of two stops which were far apart from one another. In my efforts to find a cab, I walked to the side streets and lo and behold! I was on Oi Kwan Road. I just needed to walk up further and I'd find #7--- exactly what I had been roaming around for all morning. Morrison Hill Public Pool was so close, I could smell the chlorine. Imagine the thrill I felt when I saw a red arrow that said "Entrance to the Public Swimming Pool" I followed it, and as soon as I saw the ENTRANCE sign, my phone beeped. I opened the message while I continued walking.

"You got the job. We'll email you the details." It was from Emma, the choreographer I had auditioned to about an hour back. I smiled, and looked up expecting to be greeted by the receptionist. Instead, a notice greeted me saying the pool was closed for renovation from May 1 to June 30 2010.

Off to Causeway Bay I go. The Victoria Park Public Pool. After a relaxed tram ride and a stroll across the park that was probably as big as the Araneta Center, I found the entrance, ran to the turnstile and prepared to dood my Octopus. But I was stopped by a friendly middle-aged man. It was 11:50. The morning session was about to end at 12, and they wouldn't admit anyone until 1.

I bought my green juice and sat under the trees for a while. Facebooked, Facebooked, Facebooked and then I called T, and my friends Verna, and James. James suggested the Public Library, which I thought was a bright idea. It was quite a walk from where I was, but I went anyway. I got there only to find out that they, too, didn't admit anyone between 12 and 1. I looked at their clock. 12:50. Nevermind. It was time to go back to the pool anyway.

At 1:05, I was in my trunks, finally diving into the pool. Fi-nal-ly!

I headed off, an hour and a half later to Central for lunch: Mix's Liquid Sunshine Smoothie. It was an hour and some to my chiropractor appointment, so I thought of taking a walk, and people-watching. Humidity today was tolerable. Such a waste to spend the afternoon indoors and air-conditioned. And... Just before I opened the door, the rain poured down heavily. Goodbye, walk! Goodbye, people-watch! It's alright--- I'll start writing a blog entry.

Fifteen minutes before my scheduled appointment, the rain stopped. It was time to walk down Wyndham Street.

It's early in the evening, and there are more wins to count-- a 60-min full body massage, home-cooked dinner for T, and the Shu Uemura Tokyo Lash Bar 2010 Show (Thanks to Noelito for the pass.). There is now a bit of a delay in the schedule, because the rain has held T stuck somewhere in Causeway Bay. I could throw a tantrum. Or I could finish this entry and count it as an additional win.

What's the score so far?