Monday, July 13, 2009

What's New With You?

I bumped into an old friend as I was walking the busy streets of Central. (My dear, friend, if you are reading this, know that this is not about you, ok? You were just a catalyst. It's a general observation, and you were just a catalyst. So don't feel bad.)

"Hey! I saw you last Saturday. In the afternoon. You were walking out of a clinic in Tung Chung. I was calling you, but you were walking fast to the train station," he said with much eagerness.

"Oh yeah, I had just finished my dental appointment then," I affirmed.

"I see. So what's new with you?" he asked with as much eagerness.

"Well..."

"Besides the dentist," he said, either trying to be funny, or trying to prove he was paying attention, or both.

"Well, besides the dentist, I went for a facial and a haircut on Thursday, and... Oh! And I've already stopped smoking. So... What's new with me? I have clean teeth, clear skin, freshly-groomed hair, and carbon monoxide-free lungs. That's what's new with me."

"Alright. Well, it was great seeing you. Have to go. Bye!" He said immediately, and turned away. He probably realized I am a changed person. At that very moment, he probably wondered: Where did the old Rye go?

"Alright. Bye!" I said, and, as he turned away. I realized there really wasn't anything in everything that I said that he was interested in. And at that very moment, I wondered: "What exactly do people wanna know when they ask what's new?"