Sunday, March 09, 2008

An Open Letter For A Treasured Friend

My Dearly Beloved You,

Isn't it amazing how inseparable we've become? How we've grown to trust each other as safeguards of our deepest, filthiest secrets? How we've strived to explore each other's secrets and solve each other's most baffling mysteries? How we've survived our emotional bruises standing by and for each other? How, through the most miserable and most opportune days through the years since we met, we've owned each other as an integral part of our very own selves? How hideously, shamelessly intimate we've become?

I enjoyed you as much as you did me. I introduced you to my other friends because our association was, and still is, of great magnitude to me. Some of them welcomed you unreservedly, while others with a little measure of reluctance. Still, you were my friend and that was all that mattered to me.

But like any other human relationship, ours is bound by the universal rules of space, which, we have conveniently put out of our minds. It used to work out just fine, our disregard to this particular law of nature. It doesn't anymore. At least to me, it doesn't anymore.

So please understand if I have to stay away from you for a while. Let me take pleasure in myself for now. And my other friends. And the things that I used to enjoy but have been neglecting recently. Let me go back to the gym. Let me watch my diet again. Let me blog and do my podcasts with Dan. Let me enjoy my Friday nights at Law's in Causeway Bay. Let me make dinner again for my friends from work. Let me enjoy free vodka nights in Volume without having you to tag along. Let me rearrange my room. Let me catch up on my reading. And sleep. Let me create another artistic work. Let me be without you for a while. Let me miss you. Just for a while.

I am not saying goodbye. I can't. I don't want to. I haven't outgrown you yet. There are more places to journey to, and more quiet evenings to drown in oblivion. I just want to remember what life was like before I met you. Because with you around, everything is beautiful and living is too convenient. And I don't want it that way. Not always.

But know that I love you. I always have and I always will. Bye for now. I'll be back. I promise.




Yours sincerely,




P.s.


Please don't think I'm asking you to steer clear from my friends also. Some of them have learned to love you and enjoy your company as well. But I don't want to be part of your interactions with them. Not in any way.