Thursday, January 07, 2010

Appreciating Shakespeare

I am sure a lot of people-- scholars, theater practitioners and aficionados, literatis-- will agree with me when I say that one of the best things about Shakespeare is the language.

Now, please don't ask me a thing about iambic pentameter or anything like that, because I will end up looking like a pathetic, pretentious pseudo-artist. I know nothing about that, to be very honest. What I am referring to, is its wordiness.

Shakespearean plays are wordy (and lengthy), that we are often given enough chance to Facebook and blog, while in rehearsal.

Rehearsing at the fabulous black box of the Chinese Int'l. School

Some of us actually pay attention.
Not everyone's like me.

The Nurse, Romeo, and Mercutio
-------------

Orpheus Theatre's
Romeo & Juliet

Shouson Theater, Wan Chai
13th-17th January 2010


Directed by Andy Burt (Arcadia, Educating Rita), Romeo and Juliet features a young and vibrant cast supported by contemporary music and stunning choreography.

Produced by Ed Rowe
Musical Direction Ronald Wan Pak-Hang
Choreography Rye Bautista

Tickets are available from URBTIX at www.urbtix.hk or from branches of Tom Lee Music, priced HK$250 for adults and HK$200 for students. Group bookings attract a discount depending on the group size: please contact our Producer, Ed Rowe, at rowe.ed@gmail.com for details of group or schools bookings. Please browse around our site for further information about the play, links to other resources about Shakespeare's works, and images of the production and rehearsal process.