Monday, February 04, 2008

Got the Message. Loud and Clear.

I was chatting online with my friends last night and somehow, the name of this guy --- the partner of one of my close fiends --- came up and I referred to him as the guy who doesn't like me. Then one of my newer friends, who was also in the online conference last night said, "Is there actually a person who doesn't like you, Rye?"



That was the first time I was ever asked that. And, surprisingly, without even having to pause for a while to think, more than a dozen names popped in my head : people who don't like me. Or at least, people who show they don't like me.

***

I logged in to my Myspace account again tonight after a long while to send a friend a message. To my surprise, I found two comments on my blog waiting to be read. Both from people I absolutely do not know, both composed of very kind and inspiring words.

Then my notifications also said that I had new friend requests. One of them was a high school batchmate; the other one, a sexy Afro-american 23 year-old guy named Luke from Florida. A complete stranger. After seeing his display pic, I quickly decided he was a lonely, desparate, stinky (but sexy, nevertheless) sex maniac whose only chances of getting laid are on Myspace. I wasn't, by any luck going to approve his request. I don't even know him, after all. But my curiosity urged me to view his profile. And I saw, in his "about me" box something I have received in an email years ago. It's a bit cheesy and preachy. But it speaks a little bit of wisdom and it's what made me a more positive person in the past.

Maybe I was led to Luke's page tonight to remind me to exert a little more effort in being positive. I've been quite cranky and offensive since I started taking Hydroxycut.



Here goes the verse:



To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty, To find the best in others, To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.

Be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind. Talk health, happiness, and prosperity to every person you meet. Make all your friends feel there is something in them. Look at the sunny side of everything. Be as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own. Forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future. Give everyone a smile. Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time left to criticize others. Be too big for worry and too noble for anger.


Ok, universe! I hear ya!