Monday, October 15, 2007

5, 6, 7, 8

A few of my fellow dancers don't like taking the dance classes that I give. They feel that I'm not "technical" enough in giving corrections.

Those who do, like my classes because they get my point. We're professional dancers and we're supposed to know already what's right and what's wrong; what to work on and what to correct in and by ourselves. They know that I'm not interested to see impeccable technique. Not all of us can have that. But we are all supposed to know how to interpret a dance --- or a single step, for that matter. That's what I'm more interested to see.

So here is a video of one of the dance classes that I rarely give: Musical Theater Jazz. A short combination to the tune of "I'm A Woman" from Smokey Joe's Cafe. The class was divided into three: the men, the women, and those that refused to fall in either category --- men in high heels; masculine bodies with feminine projection. ("Refused" being the operative word)




Now that's what I call interpretation and characterization.