Sunday, July 01, 2007

Last Night A DJ Saved My Life

I was wasted.
The world around me was spinning fast while the people that surrounded me moved in slow motion. My senses were sharp but my body was numb. Flashes of hypnotic light and the pulsating music drowned me. I felt helpless. My body was limp but my mind was active.

Leaning on the bar, sweating, my heart beating fast, half-naked, feeling the movement of everything inanimate and of every living flesh around me, I felt him hold my nape. His hands were cold and wet.

"Are you ok?" he asked me.

"i've had too much, I think."

"Where are your friends?" he probed further.

"Dancing."

"Do they know you're here?"
At this point, I looked up to see who I was talking too. He was sweaty too, and topless, like every single man in the club. He was chewing gum. His left hand was on the bar, holding his bottled water. His right was massaging my nape gently. I asked him, "Where are you from?"

"Singapore."

"Visiting or living here?"

"Visiting. I fly tomorrow afternoon back to Singapore." Then he turned to the bartender and asked for another bottled water. I looked down again. I have lost all my energies already and I didn't have any ounce left to sustain our conversation.

He tilted up my head and I felt a wet, cold something touch my forehead. My eyes closed, I asked him, "What is that?" He didn't answer. He rested my head on his hard, sweaty shoulder, held down my chin and said, "Here, have some water." I opened my eyes to make sure it was still him I was with.

He held the bottle while I drank from it. My eyes were fixed on his smooth face. I touched his chest. He smiled at me, pinched my cheek and gently put my hand back on the bar. He wrapped his right arm around me, popped a chewing gum in my mouth, and asked, "Are you feeling better?"

"Yes," I replied. "What's your name?"

"DJ, he said. "What's yours?"

"Rye."

I faced him and attempted to kiss. He held my face with both his hands and flashed the most angelic smile I've ever seen. Then in his very calming voice, he said, "I'm sorry, Rye. I'm straight. I am just being nice."

I laughed at myself.

Last night, a DJ saved my life from a broken heart.